Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Husband's Grandmother

She smoked for probably 40 years. 10 years ago, she was diagnosed with emphazema(sp?) and was forced to quit. She hasn't had a smoke in over 10 years now. She came to visit a couple of months ago and had a horrible cough. This week,stop smoking now, we found out she was in the hospital with lung cancer. I couldn't believe it, after all this time, and she still gets lung cancer. They also found skin cancer on her ear.She is going to do the chemo, but she's well over 80, pushing 90, and much frailer than she thinks. The family is torn up over it and it's hard to console them. My uncle had cancer and died within a year of starting treatment. My son's father had cancer and died within a year of treatment. My next door neighbor's precious 4 year old had cancer, and died within a year of treatment. A very good friend of mine, an elderly lady and grandmother figure to me had cancer,Herbal cigarettes, and died within a year of threatment.It seems to an endless cycle and few people ever make it.Take care of your quit people........I know I am even more determined now to KTQ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment