Thursday, July 22, 2010

A question for those who have quit..._14772

Please don't think I'm being an a** or trying to play stupid... I'm really not... I've been kind of lurking on the board for about a week, my mind kind of playing a tug-of-war with the idea of quitting... (still a smoker of about 8 yrs)- But... is there anyone here, or anyone you know of, who just... just didn't get past feeling like there was always something MISSING once they quit? Like, right now, there are a lot of things I feel wouldn't even be close to being the same (by that, I mean not as good) without smoking... like hanging out on the patio of a really cool bar drinking beers and chain smoking and bs-ing with people... or driving down the highway with the window down, music blasting, and a cigarette in my hand... or waking up early and going up on the roof with a cup of coffee and a cigarette to watch the sun come up... From all the stuff I've read here, it's because I 'believe in the power of the cigarette' and it's just because it's a habit and I associate cigarettes with things that are enjoyable because I'm addicted to thinking that cigarettes = pleasure... but is that really true? For EVERYONE? Or has anyone quit and regretted it, felt like they were missing out on something, but stayed quit because they were worried for their health or someone wanted them to quit or whatever?It may seem like a stupid question, but I hope I can get some feedback. Maybe I'm just really badly addicted or something... to look at the prospect of quitting as just a total kill-joy and like my life will just be sh*tty, minus the cancer or what have you... Part of me wants to quit. I think of people I know who have gotten sick from smoking, died from smoking, are in the process of dying from smoking... and I know it's not pretty. And that's what gets me thinking about it... But I also know people who haven't smoked a day in their lives, and they're dying the same way. Or people who smoked all their lives and live into their 90's. And people who have taken perfect, great care of themselves all their lives, hoping to live full, happy, complete lives... and then die in some tragic,stop smoking, freak accident. Basically, I don't right now feel like my quality of life will do anything but decrease if I quit smoking- because I enjoy it. But it MAY possibly extend my life and/or prevent me from getting some smoking-related illness down the road... and maybe it's because I'm young and it's hard for me to see much further than today and how I feel now (fine!)- but when I'm seeing it that way, I feel like... I can try to quit, but when I feel like sh*t now so I can MAYBE live longer,quit smoking, and MAYBE not get cancer... when neither of those things are guaranteed, and even if I continue to smoke I could die tomorrow... what is the point?Please, give me some feedback here. And like I said, I don't mean to be an idiot about it, and I hope you all understand that... Just trying to be honest and get some input. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment